SRM-Online settings in the SRMWin-Software
Please switch to the SRM-Online level by activating the Ergometer Button in the SRMWin-Software.
With the SRM-Online option it is possible to look at the data (Power-, Heart rate-, Cadence- and Speed data shown in diagrams) of the PowerControl online in real-time. It can be seen on a computer monitor and then be saved there as well. To use this feature, you need a PowerControl which got the so called “online option”. Usually such a PowerControl is supplied with an Ergometer.
Basically, the Ergometer can operate in three different modes:
- Open End Mode: This mode is meant for example for warm-ups / cool downs. It allows the control of the power via changing the grey highlighted digits from 0 - 10. That’s why it is not advisable to run performance tests in the Open End Mode.
- Hyperbolic Mode: Perfect for ramp- and incremental stress tests and also for tests which last over a longer period of time at a consistent power output. The cyclist can determine the best cadence for himself and the Ergometer keeps the resistance constant.
- Isokinetic Modus: In this mode you can measure the maximal power output at a previously determined cadence frequency. The break will keep the cadence steady; even at the attempt to increase it.
The “Mode” tab
Here you can define the test protocol for your performance diagnostics or your training session.
- Start Test by
- Under the button Start Test by you can decide if the test (or training session) will be started by reaching a specific cadence or by clicking the Start Button.
- Stop Test by
- Under Stop Test by you can decide if the test will end automatically when there is no more cadence to be measured or by manually clicking the End Button.
- Ergometer Mode
- Under Ergometer Mode you can choose a specific operation mode for the Ergometer:
- Predifined File:Predifined File gives you the opportunity to run tests or train after own created protocols.
- Open End Test: By choosing Open End Test you will only be presented real-time data on the monitor.
- Demo Mode: The Demo Mode is suitable for the use at exhibitions or other demonstrations.
- Calibration Mode: This mode allows you a detailed calibration of the Ergometer.
- Entering of a new Test
- Choose Predefined File and click on Create to generate a new test. Under Filename you can give the test a name (here: “Test”). You don’t have to change anything at Typ of File (Dateityp). After doing that, click on the Save button.
- Your settings will be lost if you don’t generate a test via Create first.
- “Test” will now appear under selected File. Under Commentary, you can define the file even more precisely (here “2*K3” is a term used in the training science and it means strength training on the bike).
- Please go now to the lower part of the window and enter the steps one by one. To do so, first click on the input field under Time and write down how long the step should last. Continue with the input fields for Power, Heart rate and finally Cadence. If you have entered all four input fields and so defined this first training level, please produce a new line via the button arrow.
- Another way to get a new line of input fields is to press the right mouse button on the field Time. After that you can choose between New Zone and Delete Zone. With Delete Zone you delete the line and with New Zone you will insert a new line. By checking of the value behind either Power, Heart rate or Cadence you decide which value will be shown as guideline on the monitor during the training. You can only check of one value at a time (the check behind Time is always possible and means the setting of a marker). On the right hand side under Total Time you can see the overall time of the test. Click on Apply to save the test.
The “Main Chart” tab
In this menue you can set the scaling of the graphs and the length of the displayed segments.
- Time Scale
- By selection of Show always entire Test you will be shown the entire test on the monitor. By clicking on “Show only the last…minutes”, you will only be shown the time period you entered before.
In the lower part of the window please specify by clicking on Visible, if you want to see the values Power, Heart rate, Cadence and/or Speed. Under From / To, you can define the range, in which the values will be shown. Distance gives you the difference of the chosen range.
The “Predefined File” tab
- Automatic Markers
- Under Automatic Markers you can activate or deactivate the automatically setting of markers at the beginning and at the end of every step. These Markers will appear in the saved file in the same way they are appearing in the SRM-Software.
- What to do with next / prev. Button
- At the What to do with next / prev. Button, you can choose between two functions.
- When activating go to next / prev. Step, please go to the previous or the following programmed step by clicking of Prev. Step or Next Step during the test.
- When activating go to next / prev. marked Step please go to the previous or the following programmed marking by clicking of Prev. Step or Next Step during the test. You can set those markings by checking off Time.
The “Demo Mode” tab
By enabling the Demo mode you can generate a ranking list. That would be appropriate for the usage at expos or other demonstrations. One important condition for it is that you create at least one category at the Demo mode tab. With the right mouse button, you can add a New Category and create the desired entries for Name, Watt, Tolerance and Time. The Tolerance has only a graphical meaning during the Demo tests.
DThe results of the performed Demo – Ride will be sorted under four different perspectives:
- Steady Power: How even could you hold a preset power value?
- Max Power: How high was the maximal power output?
- Max Distance: WHow high was the maximal covered distance?
The “Extra” tab
- Gearing Isokinetic Mode:
- Under the “Gearing Isokinetic Mode” you can determine the setting for the isokinetic mode.
- You have to activate Variable if you want to run the Ergometer in isokinetic mode and independent of the adjusted gear.
- The Ergometer automatically determines the speed limit on the basis of the adjusted gearing. This limit and thereby the torque can be influenced by vibrations. That’s why it is not so steady as if you would adjust fixed gearing.
- To allow an adjustment of the cadence during a steady angular velocity of the fly masses or if you need a fast adjustment of the eddy current brake, please activate Fixed (fixed gearing).
- The user defines the gearing with which he wants to ride the isokinetic test. The torque is held very consistent in that mode. The torque is only correct if you have chosen the right gear. At the current ergometers the setting of the gearing is adjusted at 80/21 in gear 9 (see sign). Older ergometer can have a different gearing and with a change of the chainrings the gearing will change as well. The new fixed gear must be entered accordingly in the Fixed box.
- If the fixed gear is not known or the cadence deviates from the specified isokinetic test profile, the gearing may be readjusted or corrected based on various experiments (trial & error). For this purpose, in each case only small changes to one or both values should be performed.
- At Testend
- Here you can set an automatically storage of your SRM- training file on your computer. Even when you click no, the training file will be saved onto your PowerControl and can be downloaded later. The training file will only be saved on the PowerControl as long as if there is enough free disc space available.
- Stop Ergo Button
- If the Stop Ergo Button is activated, the Ergometer stops when there is no more cadence to be registered. At Test end means that this feature only works at the end of the test.
- Horse Mode
- This setting is for the measurements with horses. If Horse Mode is activated you can see only heart rate and speed on the monitor.
- Brake control options
- The following section is about the setting of the Ergometer brake.
- Control rate: Here the user can decide how long the brake needs to stop the Ergometer. This braking speed can be set in 10 steps from slow to fast.
- Fast: Ergometer stops immediately (0,5s)
- Slow: Ergometer brakes slowly (5s)
- Brake base values:With the basis values you can predetermine the target performance for the control of the eddy current brake. Please change these values very carefully because entering wrong values can result in a non-working Ergometer.
- Friction: Please set here the basis friction of the Ergometer at a speed of 30 km/h.
- Slope: Has only to be changed if the Ergometer brakes to fast or to slow. If the Ergometer brakes to fast you have to move the pointer further to the left and if it brakes to slow you have to move the pointer further to the right.
- Fixpoint: If the resistance is higher or lower than the target performance, you have to change the fix point. This is independent from the positive or negative change of the resistance.
- RESET Software
- Resets the control parameters of the Ergometer.